Talmage Newton is a founding partner at Newton ▪ Barth and a trial attorney who represents clients in a variety of criminal and civil matters in federal and state courts. He has tried jury and bench trials and authored and argued appeals in a variety of jurisdictions.
Talmage frequently defends clients against a wide variety of criminal allegations in federal and state courts. His criminal defense experience includes, but is not limited to: drug crimes (possession, conspiracy, transportation, manufacturing, sales), crimes against persons (murder, assault, sex crimes), property crimes, internet crimes, public trust cases, fraud cases (mail fraud, business fraud, mortgage fraud, etc.), tax evasion, money laundering, alcohol related crimes (D.W.I., M.I.P., etc.), traffic matters, criminal appeals, post-conviction relief, clemency issues, plus many other areas of the criminal code. He also handles criminal appeals.
Because of his recognized work in criminal defense, Talmage is a board member of the Missouri Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (second term), a lead panel attorney for the federal Criminal Justice Act, and an overflow defender for the state public defender system. He has recently been named to the "Rising Star" list in the area of Criminal Defense for the fifth consecutive year.
Talmage also frequently represent clients in complex civil matters including: civil rights cases, employment issues (discrimination cases, wage-and-hour matters, etc.), business and contract disputes, construction disputes, municipal and government issues, personal injury and property and casualty claims, Adult & Child Orders of Protection, class actions, and civil appeals.
- Missouri Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (Board Member & Amicus Curiae Appellate Counsel)
- Federal Criminal Justice Act (Lead Panel Attorney)
- Missouri State Public Defender’s Office (Special Counsel)
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis – Call-A-Lawyer Program (Chairman)
- Hearing Officer for the St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department’s Board of Police Commissioners (2007-2011)
- The 2012 Robert Duncan Award for Appellate Advocacy - Missouri Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Missouri Lawyers Weekly Up & Coming Attorney (2010)
- Roscoe Anderson Award for Excellence in Advocacy (2004)
- Order of the Barristers (2004)